Saturday, December 11, 2010

Organic Baby

This was the first football-less Saturday since August. Well, there is one game on right now (Army vs. Navy)...GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!! Hubby gets a little depressed this weekend every year because his #1 choice of entertainment is over for a while. He asked me last weekend what I wanted to do this weekend in anticipation for an empty Saturday.

Well, our plans are never really plans. All we've done so far is go to our favorite grocery store, Whole Foods. We are on a real organic foods kick. It's been a gradual transition in our house over the years. It started with milk and eggs, then fruits and veggies without a peel, and now meats and most diary products. Emily will hopefully be born a VERY healthy baby or toxin-free. Hubby looks like he has lost weight from all the home-cooking these past couple months too.

I've been decided for years that I want our children to eat organic food from the start. God willing, I hope to breastfeed for as long as possible (praying for a year). All the grocery stores we shop at carry Earth's Best baby food and formula, so I plan to use that brand. Occasionally, I might puree fruits and veggies, but it will all depend on time and cost. It almost seems more cost effective to buy the jarred baby food. Produce is pricy (especially organic) and then there are the container costs and the water bill. Oh, and storage is limited, so recycling the jars is looking pretty good right now.

Keeping with the earth friendly theme of organics, my diaper selection is split. I can't commit to something I've never tried before, but I want to try cloth diapers. I read a long time ago on a facebook friend's page that she was stuffing Pocket Diapers. I was like, "What is a Pocket Diaper?!?!" Well, from my research, it is not actually a brand but a style of cloth diaper. There are lots of brands on the market, but my research found that Fuzzi Bunz is the consumer favorite. So, I'm registered for Fuzzi Bunz. The coolest part of today's cloth diapers are that they come in fun colors and patterns. I'll admit, aesthetics is usually #1 on my list when selecting material goods. However, with cloth diapers and all things B.A.B.Y, I had to go with consumer reviews/ratings. Fuzzi Bunz only come in solid colors, but they are still cute and in my opinion act as a bloomer if worn with only a shirt. I'm sure Emily with be sporting just a diaper and a top from time to time. Also, the diaper color can coordinate with her outfit. Okay, okay, so I'm going a little overboard with the color coordinating. I'm having a girl for heaven's sake. This is my dream to dress my child for as long as possible.

As for the other half of diapers in our household, we will need the disposable kind for emergencies and probably when we are out of the house. Per a best friend's suggestion, I've chosen yet again Earth's Best brand for diapers. She promises they are the best eco-friendly disposable diaper. She is an old and very trusted friend, so I've already bought a few.

If anyone has further suggestions or stories about using cloth diapers, please share. I feel like I can't possibly hear or learn enough in the next 12 or so weeks.


Just wanted to share another picture. It's beautiful wintery weather here on 12.11.10. What a memorable date. Plus, my boots finally arrived. First flat, knee-high boots I've owned. Ordered them online and was a little nervous without trying them on first. They are awesome with fur lining, a mini zipper so I can pull down my pant legs, and comfortable. Alright, I've got to run. We are going to the festival of lights in St. Augustine...whoo hoo!!! Our plan is actually turning in to a reality. Love that hubby of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment