Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in the New Year

What a way to start the new year! I've finally made progress after all the holidays and company has come and gone. Home improvement stuff is what I'm referring to really.

Our bedroom has been in disarray for quite some time now. Who am I kidding...I'm notorious for keeping my clutter in my room. So when company comes, our room gets bad. I've been ever so slowly clearing it out, but today is finally the today I made major progress. I try hard to keep hubby's side of the room clear and clean. It is my side that is the mess.
On Black Friday, I purchased curtains our room. It only took me three years. Emily is actually the reason I finally put it at the top of the list. She is going to be sleeping in her bassinet in our room for the first few months of life, and near the windows. Picking out manufactured curtains is somewhat difficult because your choices are limited as soon as you pick out blackout ones. Then, if you care about the top construction (i.e. grommet...my choice), the color, and finally the reviews. Lately, I've been reading reviews on everything I pick out with the exception of cloths. When I finally decided on the curtains, I bought them at a good price and waited for them to arrive. My downfall was with finding a rod and hardware that I liked. I first bought this modern rod from West Elm which I loved. It was awful in person and quickly returned. Just before my family came for Christmas, I ran around town desperate to find one and settled for one from Target actually. It looks nice, was the right size and does the job.

Assembling the hardware was the fun part...total sarcasm. My dad tried to drill simple holes in the drywall and hit what felt like concrete. It turned out to be a stud and required the concrete drill bit to make deep enough holes. To make a long story short, I did the whole job myself today. There were many holes to patch and I still have to repaint, but that is for another day.

I tricked hubby and told him to come help me finish the job. When he walked in our room, he was taken aback and was amazed that our room looked so much bigger. Our room isn't physically any bigger, but after the coffee table we were trying to get rid of for three months went to Salvation Army, and I moved all the other clutter from my side...our room looks like the mega master we fell in love with the day we first saw it.

The is still work to be done. My hope is to finish up the room tomorrow and take pictures to post. Stay tuned! This is part of the nesting process that we have been in for seven months now. Gosh!! I can't believe I've been pregnant for seven months already. We are getting more and more excited about seeing Emily.

Last night, several friends and family called or texted wishing me a happy new year. What came up each time was how I was sad for 2010 to be over. It was so special for hubby and I finding out about Emily. I'm also strange and love even numbers. But I said to each of them that "2011 is the year of Emily." It's going to be a year to remember forever and a truly wonderful one I feel it. Now the real fun begins with the countdown to predict if she will come early, on time, or a little late.

The weeks ahead To Do List is take classes for childbirth, parenting, breastfeeding, CPR, etc., tour the hospital, have bi-weekly OB visits, complete the nursery, attend baby showers, and that is all I can think of this late.

Happy New Year, everyone!!! Hope to see many of you this year and wishing you all good health, more wealth, and true happiness.

P.S. Just now I felt a TON of movement from Emily. I've been curious to know if I'll feel her rotate upside down. It should be happening any day now or in the coming week. Wondering if it just happened because it was a lot of shifting and poking all over. How amazing!!!

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be surprised if she is already head down. I did not feel her move into that position but when we did the 4-d ultrasound on Friday, down she was! Hopefully, it is the same case for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, Rachel. Wow, Little B turned before 30 weeks (early). We wanted another ultrasound, but our OB practice won't do it unless it is needed. We decided to be surprised and save the money to buy what she will need on the outside instead. I'm so curious to know what she looks like now though and see her face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just a few days shy of 30 weeks when we went to the appointment. It was reassurance to know she is head down and fun to see her personality emerging through the ultrasound video. It really was not expensive at all and it was a nice keepsake. There are lots of places that offer it in your area, if you want one, you should check it out. Most places offer different packages (I saw some as low as 99$ in our area).

    ReplyDelete